Thursday, May 01, 2008

In with the unwashed masses

The parts for my car finally arrived - apparently, despite moving thousands of cars a month, the local distributor doesn't see fit to keep any gearbox parts handy to effect a quick repair on my car (under warranty, may I add).

So Monday I checked the car in. Now, I know from asking around it takes about a day to rebuild a gearbox, but big and well equipped dealership needs four. I've been surviving without car for the past week, simply by the charity of others giving me car rides, public transport, and my feet.

And it happens that a heatwave's hit Singapore and so its been quite a bit of hell trudging around with a Crumpler filled with papers and cameras (because Boss has a penchant of telling me to take photos here and there) in midday heat, because buses don't go where I want them to go.

Yeah yeah, I know, buses have a route to run. I just need to get familiar with their routes.

A 15 minute drive home from work is a full hour by public transport. Perhaps its because I don't work in town, or at any of the concentrations of factory and industry, so a car works for me. It makes sense, and it gives me a wider range. In short it buys me time.

Not having a car's like not having feet. But I did go into town and I was glad I didn't have to worry about parking. In fact, I do drop my car off outside town and bus in on weekends.

Aside from the fact, public transport's pretty much about getting into contact with undesirable people and things and their habits. I, and I am sure you as well, don't want to sit too close to someone who keeps coughing and sneezing and doesn't have the good grace to cover up. Nor do I like the loud music, either from the TVMobile speakers, or from young riffraffs that have punk music blasting from their tinny little mobile phone speakers. I don't want to stand the entire journey. I had to sit through an entire bus ride facing Deal or No Deal. I tried to sleep.

At times, the train carriage is packed so tight that you'd have to collapse into yourself if you want to fall over and hit the ground. Otherwise, you'd probably slam your face into someone's shoulder, or (if you're lucky) boobs.

Speaking of which, though, public transport is a good place to people watch. But me, I prefer to withdraw into my own little metal cocoon, spewing carbon dioxide from my little Yaris, listening to my own music as loud (or soft) as I please, and getting from place to place in the shortest possible time.

One thing though. I can't sleep while driving.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home