Monday, January 21, 2008

Single Malt, or Johnnie Walker?

I'm quite a big fan of my Johnnie Walker, and recently my brother tried to switch me to single malt whiskey. He had a taste of it while chilling out at a beach resort, and liked it enough that he practically insisted that I give it a try. Its smoother, he says, its not as harsh as JW is.

So when I got back from an overseas trip, instead of my usual bottle of JW, I went and bought a random bottle of single malt Scotch whisky instead. All I noted was that for the same money, I got a bit less alcohol, and a 2.5% less alcohol content (which was still a not-inconsiderable 40%).

And so now on my table sits a shot of Glenfiddich. Alright, a sip then.

Hmmm. Tastes about the same. It is also not like the other bottle of single malt in the house, The Macallan. That one was quite tasteless and flat. No body to the flavour at all. But then again, I've not had JW in a while, maybe I forgot how it tasted.

So what's the big fuss about single malt, then? At least Johnnie Walker sponsors the McLaren F1 racing team...... and I like fast cars.

Okay. So I've tried single malt, and I still don't see what the fuss is about. At least now I've been there, done that, and can bag on it with some authority.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home